Fabulous and Broke Seminar Series
Are you interested in hosting a financial education program at your school or business?
Our Fabulous and Broke series is a fun interactive program for small to large groups.
Time: All sessions approx. an hour. If you are interested in hosting this seminar series, please contact our marketing department.
If you are seeking individual financial education, please visit Bank On Hampton Roads.
Goals and Objectives:
1. Help participants to better understand financial decision making
2. Show participants how to gain control over finances
3. Instruct participants avoid predatory lending practices
Learn about financial concepts and practices from an ‘insider.” The seminars will range in topic and will be repeated by request.
Please review the following seminar session schedule These classes will also enhance your classroom instruction if you teach personal finance/economics.
Class Schedule: Please call 757-463-6097 to schedule your seminar series.
Session One: Car Buying
- Behind the “scenes” tips on car buying
- Guest Speaker includes car salesperson
Session Two: The Path to Financial Freedom
- Savings & Spending Plans: What is a true budget and how to create one. (Free CD was given to each participant which includes: Budget Plan Spreadsheet, Monthly Bills Paid & Financial Snapshot)
- Making Financial Choices – Understanding “fees” and bank terminology
- Setting Financial Goals
- Paying Your Bills – Crisis Mode
- Creating a Debt Recovery Worksheet
Session Three: Credit Reports
Session Four: Home Buying
- Guest Speaker(s) include a realtor, mortgage lender & real estate lawyer (this session is longer–plan accordingly)
Session Five: Online Banking
- How to use online banking
- Using mobile banking
- Pay bills online
- How to protect yourself online from phishing, pharming, and spyware
Session Six: Loans and Credit Cards – Charge it Right & Keep it Safe
- Credit Cards – Insider tips on the good, the bad and the ugly
- How to apply for a loan, what is expected, what a loan officer looks for on a credit report, what questions to ask, how to understand loan lingo.
- General information on laws that protect consumers
- Predatory Lending – who are the bad guys and how can they take advantage of you? What are payday lenders and title car lenders?
- We will also review examples of finance company offers and how they can hurt your credit.
Session Seven: Crisis Mode
Course Policies: Financial topics are intimidating to many people. There are no dumb questions when it comes to finances.
People come from many different types of financial backgrounds, and finances are typically a very personal issue.
Please be sensitive to others and keep an open mind while in seminar discussion groups.
Attendance: We will start on time. If you have to come in late, please take your seat quietly.
Conclusion: Everyone makes money mistakes; we will learn how to fix them.
Evaluation: Evaluation forms will be available after each class.